Old 02-05-14, 07:18 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Any car guys, there's a new game I found through Jalopnik (awesome car website if you don't visit it). It's called Automation: The Car Company Tycoon or something like that. It's not complete yet, but they're releasing it in stages. The demo is pretty good and lets you play around a lot, for $25 you can buy the full version and it will get updated as they finish. Should be done late 2014, and they've been pretty good about sticking to their promises and there's lots of buzz and money coming in, so they should be fine.

The basic gist is that you build a car company from the ground up, over the years, as technology progresses you get access to new stuff, you buy different factories to help you, etc.

The difference from most tycoon games is that it's extremely involved. The first thing you do is make an engine. And you don't just pick components and stick them together. You pick the block type (I-4, flatplane V8, crossplane V8, or I6 are the current choices, but they'll be expanded later, I4 is the only one available in the demo), block material (iron, aluminum, AlSi, Magnesium), crank material, connecting rod material, piston material. Every choice has a cost, it affects the economy, rpm limit, weight, build time (man hours), money, etc. It's extremely well modeled, such as pistons made of a different material than the block can lead to a lower MTBF or lower fuel economy (too much blowby). Then you pick the heads, valve configuration, etc. Turbo(s), if you pick one or two, you can choose the compressor ratio and everything. Fueling type (carb or injection, double barrel or four, common injection, direct injection, etc), intake type, etc. Then you dyno the engine and see if it blows up. Then you tweak for hours getting it right. Then you build a car to put it in (similarly involved, but not as finished yet as the engine builder). Eventually there will be a campaign where you try to make the whole company by building your car lineup and stuff and updating it through the years.

There's also challenge things, right now only engine challenges, where it gives you a list of restrictions, and a list of requirements, and a little story to go along with why you're building that engine, and then you try to make an engine that meets the requirements. It's pretty awesome.