Old 02-05-14, 11:23 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by oldprobmx
I raced the full season last year, did well at regionals and went to nationals, didn't do so well. I have everything I need, one of the problems is my bike was literally the heaviest at nationals, the woman that weight it actually chuckled at me.
Would you believe that my 2010 Felt TK1 (carbon) was 3lbs heavier than my Tiemeyer (aluminum)? My DF3 weighed about the same as the Tiemeyer.

BTs are heavier.

You'll find that Aluminium will come in with the best mix if price, weight, stiffness, and availability. Carbon does have a better ride quality as Quinn mentioned as it absorbs vibrations and sharp bumps better than aluminum.

I'm not saying that aluminum is better than carbon. But I can say that all carbon is not better than all aluminum. The differences really come down to the fit, angles, exact materials, and the builder.

I've had some really nice high end carbon frames (Dolan DF3, LOOK 496, Felt TK1, Planet X...all great frames). They all came and went as my Tiemeyers stood patiently in the corner saying, "I knew you'd be back."

As a wise man, Steve Hill, once told me, "In track racing, fit trumps materials any day. Get the bike that fits the best."