Old 02-05-14, 11:08 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
Check the tech docs on Shimano's site if you need to. From 540s all the way up to Ultegras, the bearing assembly is the same. If you search it up, you'll find similar discussions. I can't see a whole lot of difference between my Ultegra pedals on my road bike and the 540s I've been using for years. The pedal body is different, and the Ultegras have a metal cap vs plastic. 5th season under a wannabe sprinter kicking over at 120+kg, no straps, and never pulled out. I'd go for money being spent on something that really should be better like seat/bars/stems/shoes/tools etc. The only real draw back is you need a special $5 tool for servicing the 540s. 70g difference in weight too.
No need to get defensive. The bearings on all the pedals are all two bearing systems. You are right.

I'll stand by my evaluation of the clip. The 540s felt very mushy on clip-in and clip-out. Buy good stuff once; I was a unsatisfied with the R540s - the ultegras are worth the money, especially when you can get them for around $100.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter