Old 02-06-14, 12:33 AM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Those are people working in a specific industry that had a vested interest in the issue. Of course they will react to a threat to their livelihood. But how do you think their sentiments spread to the public at large? I bet it is through lobbyists and PR firms and other public opinion molders who plot their strategies in smoky backrooms.

It would be a pretty naive tree hugger who thinks the way to protect trees is to convince loggers not to log. The idea is to get the message out to the population at large, and influence public perception and public policy.

Tree spiking is one of the worst ideas ever. No mainstream environmental group has ever endorsed it. But that is one of the propaganda techniques people use against advocacy - lump any reasonable advocates in with the extremists, to make it seem as if they are all extremists.

Are you sure about that? I'll have see if I can find any contrary evidence to your assertion.

No, of course not. Taking the bait from some trolls trying to wind you up is not the way to win hearts and minds. You were smart enough not to fall into that trap.
Another thing about people voluntarily moving, you mentioned to cities, but the government says more people are leaving the north east and moving to the south west than ever before. From a more practical source Check out Atlas Van Lines site. http://www.atlasvanlines.com/migration-patterns/

An no matter how anyone tried to sugar coat it Tree Huger is a social derogatory term. Almost everyone has a story of some workers losing a construction job because of a Kangaroo rat, or some other useless reason. But there is a face that people see when they think of Tree Hugers and that face is ELF and to a degree Green Peace. And it is a true backlash because you may or may not remember the French sunk the Rainbow Warrior. There was no real out rage because everyone seems to feel they are strange people to start with. I donated to get a new ship built but only because of why the old one was sunk not because I support their cause. I think that is a lost cause. ( I suppose anyway) But in reality most people seem to see environmental issues as anti working man issues. Stop a Dam from being built and you keep good paying jobs away from the area. Stop the Keystone Pipeline and you hurt the economy. And it does no good to say the oil will not get used because if the US doesn't get it the Chinese will. And how does the idea spread in Washing state? It spreads from Coffee cup to coffee cup and glass of Oly to Oly or Rainer Ale. That is where I first heard the term in a local pub from local people living in Seattle.