Old 02-06-14, 04:56 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by therunt
I popped into my local lbs today as well, looking for a new saddle to put on my mtb/commuter. I'm looking for something more akin to the body geometry saddle that is on my Specialized Allez. It might be that I've just gotten so used to the feel of the Allez's saddle, but when I'm on my mtb, which has a wider saddle, my butt will start hurting on any rides over five miles. The guy helping me seamed convinced that I needed a wider seat because of my size - I'm 6'2" 320 - but I'm not so convinced.
There's really little downside to going too wide except that you will chafe your inner legs/thighs on the nose and wing of the saddle. If you're guessing, you're better off going too wide than too narrow. You don't want to be sitting on a hatchet that is going to using your body weight to try to split your pelvis like firewood. At 6'2, your pelvis is probably on the larger side of the spectrum. Chamois cream (and especially GOOD chamois cream) and also a good chamois, for that matter, is also key.