ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
only difference to large wheels
is the angle of the spoke coming out of the rim ....
Meaning the Nipple is sitting in the hole, nice and straight... now the spoke wants to go to the corresponding hole in the hub... obviously straight laced is no problem , the more crosses you have the more angle you will see, too much angle and the spoke will never be tight enough due to the bend, and will loosen all the time. ALso the spoke will break at the nipple ...

Sapim Polyax nipple are somewaht conical shaped and they follow the spoke better than all others, why other peeps dont do that is a miracle to me.

But even Sapim nips cant overcome some weird 3 cross angles some folks still do on the smallest wheels.

Harsh riding for straight laced spokes, might be a issue for big ole wheels, and I am not sure about this as it feels to me, it could be one of those things, which just doesnt want to go away ( steel versus alloy, derailleur bike versus IGH .... and so forth ) I tend to believe that 5 lbs more or less in any given tire will make a larger input...

Straight laced spokes in the past were also a mark of a very cheep bike, as it is easier and faster to built crappy 2 dlr wheels ...

I would go straight in front, 2 cross on drive side

best Thor