Old 02-06-14, 09:48 AM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ill.clyde
I just started resistance training after the holiday layoff, getting fat again, etc ....

Did a lot of research, a lot recommended the Strong Lifts 5X5 program, or the Starting Strength program by Rippetoe. Both say they'll result in weight loss, even though they're low rep, high weight. I have my doubts, and I also have no workout partner so I tend to shy away from free weight programs without a spotter.

Found another program that was sort of in between both of those, higher reps with lower weight ... "The Beginner Weight Training Workout Routine." Three days a week, two different workouts that are based on compound lifts (squats, bench press, etc). I modified them to use primarily machines at least to start with (except for the deadlift).

It's a quick workout, I usually warm up with 10 minutes on the bike, then do my workout, then do another 20-30 minutes of cardio (bike, elliptical, etc) before I call it a day.

Just starting, and I'm monitoring my calories better too ... hoping to see results fairly quickly.

5x5, Starting Strength... 5/3/1...
All are very good ways to increase strength and improve body composition. Of those Starting Strength is the most limited. It is really only meant as a start point for people who haven't lifted. It yields a lot of progress for them for a short time. But tops out quickly.

I do 5x5 as my "normal" program and 5/3/1 variants for brief periods. Using variants the "big 6 lifts"...

The program you adopted is a marvelous program! It is well supported by studies to be very effective at improving strength, body comp, and energy systems. It is a program that will work long term for many people.

There are some people (very few) who do not respond well to full body work outs. Very few advanced lifters benefit from full body workouts, but it takes years of high intensity work to get that advanced. These two populations of non-responders gives rise to a lot of internet arguments. If you are one of those that it does work for, it will serve you extremely well for a long time (think several years!).

Please understand that "high rep" definition varies by the lift. There are different tolerances based upon your personal range of fiber types in each muscle system. Different people have different ranges of fiber types they can develop determined by genetics. Different muscles also have patterns in fiber type distribution across people: such as calve muscles in particular like VERY high rep.

Some lifts are very hard systemically, such as Deads and Squats. High reps for deads are in the ~8-10 range. Squats are a little higher but not much ~10-12... Form breaks down too fast. If your form breaks down, you're done. I see a lot of people in the gym doing workouts from "Muscular Fiction" with absurd set/rep counts on deads in particular. They are begging for injuries, and they get them. Last thing you want to hurt is your spine!

The main concern is managing your recoverability. The key to this is ensuring proper nutrition (1 to 1.5 grams protein per lb of lean body mass), and proper sleep hygiene. Listen to your body and your feelings (including motivation). If you feel burnt out, the same weights get heavier, and heavier feeling, or you just can't stand the thought of lifting... Then it is time to take a break for a couple days. Review your recovery factors. Don't worry about it, congratulate yourself. Proper rest is key to progress. It is likely you'll need additional rest in the beginning. It's ok and in service of your goals. What matters is that you return to the program. There are other signs that rest is even more critical like: not being able to sleep well, or just can't eat, cold or flu like symptoms... You don't want it to get that bad.

1 suggestion: if you're not doing the pull-ups, pull overs are more effective then lat pull downs.

Last edited by Null66; 02-06-14 at 10:03 AM.