Old 02-06-14, 09:56 PM
nymtber

Bikes: See Signature...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New wheels...

Well last weekend I rebuilt the hub bearings on my year old Podium 2 stock wheels. Standard procedure for me, factory adjustments are too tight and the grease is sticky, I feel Park grease works far better (I have a tub).

While doing that, I noticed the front hub runs out about the axle! About 1-2mm. No wonder the wheel runs out!

So, I just found 2 x 32h Velocity Deep V rims on Ebay, brand new, $89 after shipping. Seems cheapest I see around for machined sidewall Deep V is $60 or so each. Going to look into hubs, Was thinking 105, but Tiagra seem to be near as good for a bit less. I'll look around on prices. Spokes will be wheelsmith DB with plated brass nipples. 3x laced all the way around for strength! Weight is not super important, I'm used to nice heavy MTB wheels/tires...

Honestly, the factory 28h wheels with radial front, and 2x rear felt weak to me. And even with fresh grease and a proper adjustment, they don't seem to spin near as well as my 13 year old LX hubs. Being 228lbs and dropping, and reading all that Mr. Beanz has written about his astounding luck with Deep V, I thought I'd build my own! I've built one wheel and re-built another, so its not gonna be hard

Won't happen anytime soon, gonna build them... sometime Might not be till spring, might be before then. Depends when I find good deals on hubs, then once I have both in hand and can take measurements, and use spocalc, I can get spokes...

So, where do you all find the cheapest Wheelsmith DB stainless spokes? I'll need 64 total, likely 2 or 3 different sizes.