Old 02-06-14, 11:21 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
We may have but the majority recipient of the migration from the north east larger cities, like Detroit that has been hammered, and even New York one the denser packed cities is, Texas and Now North Dakota. Neother state is resplendent with the densities so many here seem to favor. I freely admit I dislike the Mega City almost as much as some used to dislike the evil empire. But that being said I see the decay in the rust belt and defection from New York City as a positive thing. what has never been addressed and more than likely never will is the reason people fled the cities in the first place. What did so many families want a place of their own outside of Town? In my area we can thank men Like Huntington for building some of those suburbs and financing the Red Cars to move people to and from them. Atlanta is also proof that moving to the "city" is not the same as many think when they say city. They are spread out giving people room and giving rise to the new Suburbs, the exurban areas, Metro areas. All growing at a faster rate than central cores like Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh. On the west coast the Jobs aren't in Downtown LA they are down by the Harbor, out in the valley. In the many bedroom communities like Burbank and Pasadena.

But since we are talking it has to be remembered that sometimes society can be right and sometimes the ultra minority is wrong. And sometimes A tree huger is a term that comes from the populace. While almost everyone wants clean air and clean water most make it secondary to good jobs or steady employment. Especially if caving in to small special interest group simply means losing those jobs and services to someone else and adds to their comfort and economy. Argumentum ad populum may at times be very effective and that becomes clear when you see that even the car free in this forum aren't car free. From Anthropology we have learned that there has always been a division between dedicated city dwellers and non city dwellers. As the Cities became more expensive to live in and more crime ridden they lost some of their charm and people who could did escape. Some even in cities with protected building with security and car services. Some to outlying areas where they escaped the high rents for less space. That more than likely will not change in the lifetime of anyone posting here. Face the cycling forum is an interest of a minority of society. Living car free is a minority of cyclists. As they say, there is a problem with spitting in the wind.
Just to clarify, small towns, suburbs and even exurbs are counted as "urban areas" in most census reports and other studies. So people moving to the suburbs of Las Vegas or Phoenix are counted as moving to urban areas.

Your personal preferences aside, there is no doubt that since the start of the Industrial Age, there has been mass movement to towns, cities and suburbs. This migration is probably about complete in developed countries, but is rapidly apace in other parts of the world. I suppose that, like most social changes, there are both good and bad effects to this, which can be argued and disputed. But the plain and simple fact is that urbanization is progressing, whether you know it or not.

"Think Outside the Cage"