View Single Post
Old 02-07-14, 12:20 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
The others have answered the specific questions, so here are some general rules for the fuure.

1- any serrated washers or spacers are to improve traction between the brake and frame or fork, or within a washer/spacer stack.
2- thich washers, are really spacers designed to move the brake away from the frame or fork, usually to increase brake shoe clearance
3- curved (one side) washers are to mate the brake to a curved surface like you'd fine on the fork or seat stay. The curvature has to match what it fits against.

Now to avoid errors when taking apart things (anything) one is not familiar with.

The key to working with the unfamiliar is the same as walking to Grandmothers house through unfamiliar woods. Leave bread crumbs so you can find your way back along the same path.

1- take a digital before photo (or more than one), hopefully showing any spacers, washers, seals etc.
2- lay parts on a paper towel in the sequence and orientation as they come off, so you can reverse the sequence as you put it back together.
3- Take a photo of the parts laid out in case a critter eats your breadcrumbs, or you knock them all off onto the floor, or want to wash them.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-07-14 at 12:39 PM.