Old 02-08-14, 06:59 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4232 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Messing with a 1 - piece crankset - is it worth it?

I'm cheap (and don't have a ton of disposable income). Just thought I'd get that out of the way right to start.

My daughter (3 years old tomorrow) has outgrown her tricycle and I thought it was time to get her onto a two-wheel form of transportation. After looking into a lot of the pros and cons, it looked like starting her off on a balance bike rather than going with the training wheels thing. I thought it seemed kind of silly to buy a balance bike (good ones aren't cheap) and then 6 months or so later buy a pedal bike in the same size, so I found a good deal on a used Giant Pudd'n that seemed the right size for her, so I figured I'd take the pedals (and maybe crankset) off for her to use as a balance bike and then put them back on when she got used to balancing on the bike.

Turns out the bike has a 1 piece crankset like a really low end box store BSO, and I've never tried to mess with one before. Are they a pain to take off/put back on/get adjusted so that I'd be better off just pulling the pedals (and maybe zip-tying one crank arm to the frame) and calling it a day, or is pulling it and then putting it back on later not that big of a deal?

Thanks so much for your help.