Old 02-09-14, 04:06 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Too nice to ride in the city?

Originally Posted by Sixracer
…I love it, tool around on the weekend for fun but can't bring myself to lock it up in Boston. ..

Problem is, it is bright red, in as-new condition, and seems WAY to flashy for urban use. So far my best attempts to ugly it involve some plastic wrap and duct tape. Not fooling anyone. Given I have had it for almost 20 yrs I am quite attached, not sure I can Krylon it to death…
I live in Kenmore Square and commute through Boston to a suburb 14 miles distant on a beautiful carbon fiber, very expensive Specialized S-works. While I don't consider it too nice to ride in the city, I would never lock it up. In fact, I would not lock up my beater Cannondale mountain bike either. I just don't think it's worthwhile to lock up the bike and leave it unattended. Fortunately I can bring my bike into work to a secure location, and I'm not hesitant about taking a bike into an establishment where I might be doing some business. Otherwise I just don't use the bike if I have to leave it anywhere.

Originally Posted by irwin7638
No offense, but it is just a bike…

Originally Posted by noglider
….irwin, I like your attitude. It's like using the good dinner plates on every-day occasions, because if you don't enjoy them, there's no point in having them. We use very old antique plates every day.
Would you use your antique plates for a children's birthday party? For me, it's not so much a matter of a material attachment, though I do love (or “like”) and enjoy my bikes, but it's a matter of taking a risk with a valued object, when alternatives are available. Secondly, my current bikes are so suitable for my needs, it would take a lot of time and aggravation to search for replacements. Bikes are just that integral to my cycling lifestyle, and a lifestyle it is, FWIW.