PolarBear007
Touring Enthusiast

Bikes: 23" Schwinn High Plains, 20" Trek 830 Antelope

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Aerohip
Surly LHT, and going on a Vancouver to Ushiaia Tour in 2015, I just ordered a Tubus Tara from Wayne at Thetouringstore.com. Great guy...and a great rack!
I'm glad you decided on a rack - particularly the one that was your preferred, 1st choice (otherwise, anytime something would've happened you'd have had buyers remorse...).

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I've used Bruce Gordon's low rider racks, on multiple tours.

I got a front rack fabricated .. it's fitted on canti-brake studs and the fork crown ..

It was narrow , and so, later, I added a piece of 1/4" plywood so things stay on better.. quasi Porteur..

Took a lot of pictures with my photo-gear bag on the ground near the bike , before adding a platform .

since unstrapping it = having the bag fall off , so I set it down .

Thus, you might consider a front rack with more width than the nitto-Riv thing.
they are only thinking of handlebar bag supports with those.
Sorry for my cranial density, but would you please elaborate on having a rack with greater width than the Nitto-Riv "Big Front Rack" in particular as regards your statement, "they are only thinking of handlebar bag supports with those"

Originally Posted by LeeG
The Tara low rider is a great rack. Something to consider is whether your bike has 700c or 26" wheels. Totally my own opinion but I find that with 26" wheels lowriders put the panniers too close to the ground for tight quarter riding near curbs and narrow trails.
Is there a general good distance to have from the front, low-rack attachment position of the panniers to the ground? A smarty-pants answer would be to simply measure the dimensions of the pannier, etc., but I'm looking for your own personal method/idea for this.