AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2014-02-09 Avondale Criterium #2 - M55+ - 15 Starters:

There were a few attacks, but nothing stuck because one of the usual break guys was saving himself for a later race, and the other likely candidate kept shutting it down based on the mix (sprinter on his tail, etc.). I thought one of the them was good, but the other guy closed it down, and I drifted back, insulted. No respect for me at this point! So I tried to create some future respect when the pack bunched up as we passed the line with 3 to go. Most everyone was off to the left, I was to the right, and I just rolled gently off the front. Got a good gap and started drilling it, opening up a pretty good margin. From what I was told afterwards, I made them have to work hard - but they did - and I was caught and swarmed as my legs totally gave out exiting the final turn. I had nothing left. 100m short of glory, but we all know how that is "so close and yet so far." It's far easier to almost pull it off than it is to cross the line with your arms in the air.

M35+:

Did this one for more work, and for skills, especially leg speed. Practically motor-pacing racing with the young guys. I hung in there, mostly tail-gunning, until I was dropped and pulled with 6-7 laps to go. Good news is that about halfway through that one I found I was relaxing into it more at the higher speed, and doing a far better job of conserving effort than earlier in the race. Cornering was there, and I was keeping my mental focus and eyes where they belonged. All that felt good. Legs felt the prior effort. We got two guys in a 4 man break that lapped the field. James (C1 sprinter team captain), gave our designated guy a long lead out to the final into-the-wind sprint. He went around James maybe a touch too early, finishing behind the winner by half a wheel, also overlapped with James. By the way, our 2nd place guy was Cat5 until about a week ago - now he's a 4. Spent his youth in Alaska on cross-country skis. We got 2, 3, 5 and 8 in the 35+ race. Several other good showings. Team is crushing it so far.

Attendance seems weak, by the way. Notice just went out that VOS registration is lower than expected this close to the race.