View Single Post
Old 02-10-14, 02:34 PM
fotooutdoors

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, One-One Inbred 29er, Blue Norcross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bad: too far crank forward. This keeps you from shifting fore/aft to handle front wash-out vs rear spin-out. It also is inefficient in getting power to the cranks, since you are working more parallel (rather than perpendicular) to gravity. Take crank-forward geometry to an extreme, and you have a recumbent. Most 'bent riders will tell you that climbing is very slow, which is largely due to the fact that you can't stand on the pedals (or with a beach cruiser, it is harder to stand on the pedals). Likewise, 'bents are not the most conducive for mountain biking because you can't shift weight distribution. For a cruiser bike, the weight distribution is harder to shift because you need to stand up before you can move forward or back.

I have only a tiny bit of experience on a fat bike, but have a decent amount of snow & ice biking time, so take what I say with a grain of salt. That said, I would assume that the same basic principles apply whether your tires are 2.25" or 4" wide. IE: control and power (the latter which partially dictates the former) are pretty important.