View Single Post
Old 02-11-14, 09:42 PM
spinbackle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rholland1951
Since nobody's mentioned this alternative, for completeness I'll add the Nokian W240 to the list of tires known to help with frozen ruts. Studs where you need 'em, plus an aggressive tread. Peter White has a useful summary of studded bicycle tires that discusses the rut problem.
I rolled recently on some of those and have to agree. They're not the fastest rollers but they're also not designed to be. I did not have any problems with any slippage whatsoever. There were a few times I started to brace for a fall when taking a corner (just expecting this I guess) only to track smoothly right through it. Most of my commute was via MUP but I did have some areas on the roads that had ruts. I am sold on these tires. I only get to use them several times per winter but they have been worth the investment. I relied heavily on Peter White's recommendation of these.

Scott
'84 Trek 850--spinbackle-built, '85 Trek 670 Campy Nuovo Record--project, '87 Trek 560 SS/Fixed--project, '87 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp w/ Deore XT--Specialized-built, '87 Rossin Record, '03 LeMond Wayzata--commuter,
'?? TST Mtn Bike frame--project, '07 Tsunami Tandem--home-built