View Single Post
Old 02-13-14, 06:06 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
I found the article in Skyscraperpage interesting.

First, the transit rider who knows the bus schedule does not wait 15 minutes in the morning at the bus stop. The writer did this to make the trip look longer than it should. Since the wait time at the bus stop is 5 minutes, the entire trip is 25 minutes, a full 5 minutes less than using the more complex system of transfers.
Maybe... out local transit system has schedules posted at the stops. I have used the system in the past, buses could be as much as 10 minutes early or 30 minutes late, resulting in a 45 minute wait in a worst case scenario. They currently only run on the hour, so you definitely DON'T want to miss one. My parents live about 20 miles from me, closest bus stop is 12 miles away, leaving 7 miles to take by bus, it would take almost an hour to make that 7 mile trip, involves a transfer AND you still have a mile to walk on the far end. Route coverage is piss poor and is concentrated on the low income areas and does little to service the general public. It is the first thing to get cut when money becomes tight. I rode the bus regularly back in the 1980's and the service was better then.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon