Thread: Equal rights?
View Single Post
Old 02-14-14, 12:06 AM
turbo1889
Transportation Cyclist

Bikes: Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ Correct

The entire idea of mandatory use laws is the big sticking point for me. It absolutely flies in the face of the "rights" vs. "privileges" status of the legal position of public right of way users based on the risk the method of transportation they are using has for the very lives of others.

Most cyclists including many predominantly VC cyclists will gladly use good infrastructure. Thus the only reason mandatory use laws exist is as vicious violation of basic human rights in an attempt to force some citizens into "ghettos". Without a compulsory control mechanism you cannot force people into ghettos and if you eliminate that hold on people you eliminate or at the very least reduce ghetto-ization of society to an absolute minimum that is achievable. That's not just a statement about cycling infrastructure that is a statement about any and all types of ghettos on every level of human society. It's just like poverty, if you want to eliminate that or at least reduce it to as small as possible you don't attack it directly you attack the control mechanism that forces people into it.