Old 02-14-14, 10:32 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
An inspiration for me is Meyer Hillman, a social scientist and environmental activist in the UK. He's never had a car, and, even though he's a bit aged now, gets around everywhere in his home country and elsewhere by bicycle and public transportation. I'm also a fan of Bill Cunningham. I've admired David Byrne for other reasons, but his bicycle stance is less impressive to me, mostly because he's so puffed up about it. And ILTB impresses me, too, even though he's not car-free and is a troll on this forum in his worst moments. He's not a wuss on a bike, though, and has done some very impressive commutes in difficult conditions, and you have to respect that.

Closer to home, I have... no one who actually inspires me. My closest friends still think I'm eccentric for not driving. Some of my co-workers have joined me in bicycle commuting, but still own and use cars on weekends (which, for families, is totally rational in the US in my opinion).

Maybe I need to make a renewed effort to connect to the local bicycle community. I tried a few years ago with the Cascade Bicycle Club, but was put off, because it seemed to me at the time that it was either club racer types, which is obviously another mind-set altogether from utility riding, or totally political types, people who would all drive cars to meetings about advocating for more bicycle infrastructure.