Badge

Bikes: 2004 Cannondale Jekyll FS 5"Travel, 1971 Stella, Campy components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1970s? Stella road bike

Hello,
I recently acquired a Stella road bike from what I'm guessing is the 1970's. It is a 10 speed with mostly campy components, and sun tour rear derailleur. It seems to be mostly original, but there were a few things I wanted to tune up without compromising the bike. I haven't been able to find much about the bike other than it was a French company which made everything from low end to performance race bikes. I'm guessing based on campy components this bike is somewhere in the middle in terms of quality.

The rear brake sticks, is there any harm in replacing brake cable? Also, the tires leak a fair amount of air. They are quite old 700x32c tires white wall tire. I have been hesitant to pump up to recommended psi and blow out the side walls. Is there any harm in getting new tires and tubes? I would keep the ones on it, but i have no idea if they are original or near original as I don't know the history of this bike.

Lastly, the grips are cracked and falling off. Was considering getting bar tape to re wrap? I've ridden mountain bikes for about 4 years, but have never ridden rode bikes much. I plan to use this bike to commute to school and run errands around town. The gears shift well, and I love the extra speed on pavement compared to mtn bikes

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions