View Single Post
Old 02-16-14, 09:14 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
I'm not scare of technology if it can be proven to be better, cheaper or the same cost, and very reliable, electric shifting may shift faster which I've read proof that it does, but it does and will cost more in the long run even after production supposedly will make it cheaper, but due to inflation alone plus also due to technology costs you won't see any reduction in price. This same argument about cost was done with integrated shifting too, yet to replace a failed or broken Dura Ace 9000 integrated shifter cost an average of $349, but the Dura Ace DI is around $749...over twice as much! If a Dura Ace rear integrated derailleur goes bad it will cost you $280 whereas the DI will cost $760, and a front Dura Ace derail is about $140 while the DI is $470, and a new battery is $150 (or $200 for the internal tube bat) which will probably be needed about once every 3 years. The argument about those prices on tech dropping won't be more than maybe $100 because as time goes by inflation goes up and you never win that argument, a bike frame is different in that there are lots of Chinese factories doing it for cheap but there are only a couple of factories doing components.

This is why it's not good to buy a bike with this fancy stuff on it (unless like I said before money is no object) because the manufactures suck you into getting a bike with a huge reduction in the cost of the components knowing darn right well when replacement time comes you'll be paying through the nose...they now have you hooked and are reeling in the suckers.