Old 02-16-14, 02:19 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Originally Posted by Savagewolf
I don't like the idea of cutting the frame at all. To me, it seems a rather extreme procedure.
+110 ^^^^^

Not to sound like a broken record, but.....

Ok, thanks for the photos, big chainring!

This is too easy now.

What is needed to finish what you started, is to ditch the idea of the fancy CLB hanger. It's not correct for a Mafac-equipped bike anyway, and it's not an original upgrade anyway, just a hipster bling bump if you will allow me to be so bold.

Take the threaded top race to someone with modest grinding skills and buzz off the jaggedies with a bench grinder, then follow up with some slow fine-tuning on a bench grinder. Yu'll get more threads than you need.

And, in cases where perhaps too few threads engage the locknut, use a drop of medium-grade Loctite on both the top cone-race or whatever and on the locknut. In this way, a much lower torque will need to be applied to said locknut, and the headset will never loosen.
I've even used Loctite on worst-case sort of headset threads, and never a problem even over years of hard use.
But i am in desperate need if hipster bling. Brakes are CLB. I actually bought the frame so I had something to put the bling brakes on. I could see skipping the hanger, or perhaps thin the CLB hanger.

Yeah grinding the teeth off the top cup would be a great idea. It threads on very tight anyway, threads are a bit bunged up.

I'm going to take the frame in to the LBS as it is now, hand it over to him and tell him to do what needs to be done. He's the expert.