Old 02-16-14, 04:44 PM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Geeez...instead of getting all poopy and condescending, give us an example of a "PO FOLK" with an inspirational story?

Like "Granddad" Eure, who founded and ran the Kid's Repair Program after retiring as an auto worker for GM. Kids partner 1:1 with volunteer adult mentors to earn a bike that they repaired themselves. Granddad stressed that bikes were fun for kids, but also reliable transportation. And he noticed that there were thousands of abandoned bikes all over the city, discarded only because nobody knew how to make the simple repairs that the bikes needed. Kids who completed the classes not only got the bike with helmet and lock, but a certificate and a nice graduation party.

One thing I like about Granddad is that he thinks the experience should benefit the adult volunteer as well as the kids. Early volunteers were mostly laid-off auto workers who had good benefits but problems with boredom and lack of meaning. Some volunteers were homeless people. They earned a bike of their own by completing the repair class before working with the kids. Another cool thing was that the kids themselves could take an advanced class, then come back to work with younger kids.

Granddad is about 90 now. I work with his son, who said he is definitely starting to slow down.

http://www.tncp.net/Articles/tabid/1...5/Default.aspx

grand dad sounds just perfect-
He might be car free now-but I kinda doubt he is anti car-and doubt he was car free during most of his adult life.
He is pro bike without being anti car
Many of you-and your heroes-are anti car-
Anti car folks never get anything done when they petition various politicians
Even if they attempt to hide their car hate-the politicians are able to read them in a millisecond-"crank"-and politely write them off.