View Single Post
Old 02-17-14, 10:11 AM
jazzgeek79

Bikes: Trek 700 (2000ish), 88 Schwinn Voyaguer, late 80's-ish lugged Spalding mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I am retired now. But with over 40 years of work history behind me my advice is to pick your battles well (meaning better). And don't defecate where you eat.

Not that I really enjoyed much of my work over the years... I didn't. If your having a great time at work and want to top your cake [job] with cycling icing... you're doing better than I ever did.

But I always found it best to separate play from work. Work hard... play hard.... but never at the same time in the same place. I think you are absolutely correct that new paradigms and ways to work have yet to be found. BUT... unless.... that is YOUR position at your place of employment.... you have your noise in someone else's business. And in most places.... that "someone else" is in the human resources department has the power to hire, fire, and promote.
I'm sure on some level you are correct. But I have to say companies unable to see how employees cycling to work is good for morale, improves the health of its employees, and costs the companies little to nothing, due to the fact that some hr manager can't hear or respect the needs of its employees is probably doomed to fail without government intervention. I also have a right to commute how I see fit. Cow towing to some bs rule about arriving in a suit over ones civil rights ruins this country in my opinion.

ride to work in a crappy business suit. Then change into a good one.