View Single Post
Old 02-17-14, 12:17 PM
Badge

Bikes: 2004 Cannondale Jekyll FS 5"Travel, 1971 Stella, Campy components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[Qand E=jimmuller;16502573]You had to remove the front axle from the rim (I assume you mean the hub) with vise grips? Do get the correct cone wrenches. Once you loosen the locking nut

+1 on what they said about doing maintenance. Cables, housing, tires, brake pads, even chain and FW are consumables. I wouldn't be too concerned about keeping that bike "all original" anyway. In fact, that stuff is basic replace-when-necessary on any bike you intend to ride.

Repack the hubs at least, and maybe the headset. Consider the BB too, but you'll want advice on how to deal with that cottered crank.
[/QUOTE]

I had to use vise grips to clamp onto round/cone side of QR skewer (opposite the lever side) , it was rusted in place on the skewer. However, I can now use fingers to loosen/tighten.. Thanks for rust products 3a. I found out my hometown doesn't sell cone wrenches, and I'm going to need a fr-2 from park tool anyways to remove regina freewheel.. So I called the bike shop where I live (and will return tomorrow) and ordered tool, and he said they have Falcon 14-28 freewheels for 17.99, would this be a good time to replace fw, and chain after cleaning /repacking bearings in back hub? I'm a little discouraged with my "cone wrench" I purchased a 12mm end wrench and ground it thin enough to fit before I realized I need a 13 or 14mm cone wrench. Will probably just buy proper tool tomorrow when I return to Missoula, and pack the bearings tomorrow.