View Single Post
Old 02-18-14, 10:25 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Al
From the other thread (and this is where it belonged anyway), re checking the bike out:

Suggest you just peruse the forum history or start a new thread. (But be careful about revealing where you are---bikes 'outed' here have been known to disappear quickly.)

Just a quick checklist:

Look for frame damage, which would show dents or creases in the tubing, sometimes just a ripple or crack in the paint. Usually in front. That's a dealbreaker, unless the bike is priced fairly for just the parts.

Check seatpost and stem to make sure they're not frozen/oxidized in place. You'll need the right metric allen keys for this. For the stem, loosen the allen, then rap on the top sharply, stem should come free. For the seatpost, just loosening the binder bolt and maybe a bit of pressure should do it. Both problems are common and while they can be overcome are pretty close to a dealbreaker--because you don't know how much work it'll take to fix them.

Are wheels straight when you spin them? Does everything turn smoothly? Brakes not grabbing right and shifters not working right are minor issues, usually just adjustments or cable replacements, but can be ways to bargain price down.

Don't worry about superficial scratches or minor rust spots. Or dirt--that can be your best friend as dirty bikes sell cheap.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Most of us assume with any old bike that it will need new brake pads, tires and tubes, cables, grease in wheel hubs, bottom bracket, etc. Having a bike shop do that can quickly add up into the hundreds, so any regular on this forum knows how to do their own work. In fact it's part of the fun.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! There are several threads about the Ironman here--as you'll see it's highly regarded.
I was sure I was forgetting something too! And there it is.

OP just a little disclaimer: I'm not in the Ironman club I've got the much cooler and less culty Centurion Turbo.

Originally Posted by oddjob2
FYI, upon a closer look at the photos, that is a 1989, which would have been all Suntour GPX. Therefore the RD and wheels are all replacement parts. The paint on the stays is scuffed, but luckily the area around the crankset, the bottom bracket, is not rusty at all. There is a tendency of some Ironman's to rust in that area.

Bring a tape measure and measure from the center of crank to the seat bolt for frame size.

Here is a higher resolution photo of mine. The bar tape will probably go white.
Gorgeous.. is that in riding condition or cleaned up for photo op?