View Single Post
Old 02-18-14, 06:25 PM
Motolegs

Bikes: General 80's MTB "Icebreaker", Motobecane Grand Jubilee (vintage mint), Trek 1.1, 2014 Motobecane Mirage (steel) Trek 3500 MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
That sounds right, I think I remember it was an Allez, I only saw it once. Personally I didn't see the point of it. If you want a steel-tubed, DT-shifting retro-bike, isn't it cheaper and cooler to buy an actual vintage bike? At least then you get lugs! (no offense to OP, I'm sure your moto is lovely)
No offense taken, always like to take a gander at the vintage Moto with handpainted lugs (That I lucked into @ the thrift store)- to see some very nice workmanship.

This new Moto was just impossible to resist. Sure, it's not made in France, or even owned by a French company, but IMO has more character and panache than anything coming out of department stores. And was looking for a bike to RIDE, everyday, something unlike the vintage Moto I own, the Trek 1.1 reserved for weekend rides and semi competitive events, and the sluggish tank that is the Ross MTB. It filled a niche perfectly.

As an update, things have turned here weather wise and have returned to a regular two wheeled commute. The Mirage is performing admirably. Did break down and replace the stock Kenda 152 tires with Specialized Armadillo's for some peace of mind. The top of the handlebars are too crowded to mount a light with the extra brake levers in the way, so put them on the vertical section. Looks funky but works well. A rear rack went on with no issues.

This bike is really slick looking, pretty darn fast, and so much easier to ride than the old commuting beast. As a bonus, these aren't standard down tube shifters that leave you fiddling for the sweet spot, but click into place precisely. Very nice stuff!

The main disadvantage so far is when people ask what brand of bike it is, and you have to reply "Motobecane". It draws puzzled expressions to those expecting a reply of "Schwinn" and is a mouthful to actually say.