Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by phoebeisis
and 3 wheeled bikes for oldsters-which means dedicated bike lanes-"sorta wide"
USA older the 45 Folks are over weight-perhaps not too agile-
They can't safely comfortable ride a 2 wheeled bike
but they certainly can ride an old fashioned 3 wheeler-big basket in the rear-very stable-(or even a training wheeled bike)
but those bikes are wider
and oldsters sure as heck won't ride with traffic-no VC for oldsters-laughable to even consider it
3 wheeler 65 yo-maybe some medical problems- 6-8 mph is about it-they won't ride in traffic
they need dedicated bike lanes-and a way to safely lock their bike-and a way to lock their bike outside( too heavy too bulky to haul inside)
There is waaaaay too much emphasis on 2 wheeled bikes-and the VC lane controlling elitism-strictly for extremely fit folks

You bike advocates need to think of better bikes-maybe a "kiddie type" bike with some sort of training wheels-for older folks-retractable and light so they can haul them into their home?
Are you serious??? Really ... you must be joking!!

Over 45 ..."over weight-perhaps not too agile- They can't safely comfortable ride a 2 wheeled bike"???

You say you're in your 60s ... do you ride a tricycle?

I can name hundreds of people over 45 who aren't particularly overweight and who are quite comfortable on a 2 wheeled bike. The average age on the Paris-Brest-Paris 1200K (that's an international Randonneuring event in France which attracts approx. 5000 cyclists, you might not have heard of it) is 49 years old. Yeah, sure, there are a few recumbent trikes in the crowd, and a handful of British riders like upright tricycles, but believe me, they aren't crawling along at 6-8 mph.

Even within my acquaintance in the city where I currently live, there are a lot of over 45 cyclists ... I'm one of them, so is Rowan.

As a car-free (in the past)/car-light person whose motivation is fitness, I think there should be much more of an emphasis on becoming extremely fit and strong, humans are meant to be fit and strong ... even past the old age of 45.

(Maybe I should have gone wheelchair shopping instead of hitting the gym this evening)