Old 02-19-14, 12:50 PM
bknaus
Sway Bar Guru

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD10; Santa Cruz HighBall; Schwinn Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you might get a better response if you made one of those online surveys. You can have text boxes so not just multiple choice options but a lot of the questions you have above could be rated on one of those 1-10 scales. Have a yes or no multiple choice on permission to use quotes and name, etc. I'd love to give feedback, but like fietsbob said, I'd prefer not to post about where I live, income, race, etc on a public forum. I'll give you anything you ask for other than my SSN on a legit survey site that won't let the world see it though.

When I lived in San Luis Obispo (moving between 93410, 93405, 93401) I always felt safe on a bike on fun rides, at night, commuting, etc. I never wore a helmet and never really had any close calls and I rode a ton around town. I lived there five years.

Now that I live in Visalia (have lived in 93277, 93292, 93291) drivers aren't nearly as used to seeing cyclists on the road. I've had more close calls in the past year here than 5 years in SLO. Now I never ride without a helmet and basically try to get out of the center of town as fast as possible. Even (embarrassingly) ride on the sidewalk sometimes because the road is so sketchy. They are working on getting better bike lanes and signage but if the drivers don't think to look for a cyclist before a right hand turn and cutting you off, it doesn't matter if there was a bike lane or not.