Thread: Training Status
View Single Post
Old 02-19-14, 05:04 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
The only reason I'm considering the TK1 is because the "difflock" system is splinded and indexed. So, in order to tilt it, you have to remove the guts, tilt, then re-install the guts.
Man, that "difflock" system looks over-complicated. And even though it has that fancy double splined thing to make the pitch finer, at the end of the day, it's still splined. Notice in their video, the saddle went from nose low to very slightly nose-high. IMHO, there are several ways of making solid one and two bolt systems and with the difflock it seems like the engineers all went on a bender and picked the most complicated system possible just to be different. I'm sure it works fine, but damn, they chose a complicated route to get there.

My new Dolan came with a two bolt system very similar to the Thomson and it is solid. I agree with you, the Thomson style clamp is the most fundamentally sound seatclamp you can find. Forces in all directions are taken up by bolts in tension (as opposed to splines or *gulp* friction), just as god intended.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 02-19-14 at 05:09 PM.