Old 02-23-14, 07:03 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
A coach sent a rider up the Alpe d'Huez (8.6 miles, avg grade 8.1%, max grade 13%, one of the toughest climbs in pro cycling) multiple times, asked him to keep his power constant, and measured the times. Without extra weight, it took 49' 40". With 4 pounds added only to the frame, 51' 40'. With 4 pounds added only to the tires, 52' 01".

So are these time savings this significant? If you're being timed in competition, then yes.
I'd say Strava and self-competition was enough for me. I'd had this goal to be top 10% on Strava up an iconic Southern California climb up Mt Baldy. It was meant to be a way to encourage myself to stay fit - I'm too busy and old to be a real racer these days and Strava hit the sweet spot of motivation I needed.

Anyway, I'd been stuck in the top 11% of that climb for nearly a year, and was taking a few seconds off every month or two, but the progress was slow. I bought a lighter bike, and first ride up I moved up 50 places or so and was in the top 10% finally. Point is, "timed competition" can mean a lot of things to a lot of people. I'm in timed competitions with myself half the time I'm on my bike, and I suspect many others are too. They are relevant to me, and only me. $2500 well spent in my book.

Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
And of course, it's usually cheaper just to take the pounds off your body than off the bike. (But not necessarily easier....)
Indeed, usually...In my case I think if I lost any more weight it'd be cause for divorce and that would most decidedly be more expensive. I bought a new bike this week to help my marriage. Yup, that's the ticket.