Old 02-24-14, 09:39 AM
TravelTrailer

Bikes: Bianchi Simpre, Specialized Stumpjumper, Redline monobelt, Scott Fixie, Redline Metro Classic, Bianchi Via Nirone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann

Am a bit puzzled by your comment about 2-wheel trailers. I've frequently had my Bike Friday 2-wheel trailer over 50 mph on downhills with no issues at all. How fast are you planning on going that would make one "too unstable at the speeds I ride?" But I doubt that the BoB trailer is a major contributor to your spoke issues.
My experience with a two wheel trail was not very favorable. I will admit that the trailer I tried was low cost and/or quality but that would not change the physics and/or riding dynamics. You claim you have hit speeds of 50 mph on the on the downhill and I am not questioning that but I have to ask what speeds do you make any type of turn? With the two wheel trailer the forces applied to the rear of the bicycle will push the rear wheel to the to the outside of the radius much like a motorcycle with a side car or a 4 wheel vehicle. With a single wheel trailer the trailer tracks the same path as the bicycle leaning into the corner. The BOB trailer is the same width as the bike which which is helpful to keep me in the narrow lanes that I ride. I do not have any elevation that would give me the opportunity to hit speeds of 50 mph but I have made turns at 20 mph. I found the two wheel trailer was a situation of the tail wagging the dog.
I posted the comment to not tell me to use a two wheel trailer because my question was about my wheel and when I have had wheel discussions in the past most would say to use a different trailer even though the people recommending that I use a two wheel trailer have never pulled a trailer with a bike. I wanted to keep the discussion based on my wheel not the trailer and as you stated we both agree that the trailer most likely is not a major contributor to my problem.