Old 02-24-14, 10:19 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums, and back to biking after a hiatus of some years. So you want to know if and extra $300 or $400 is money well spent, and what other brands to consider. And finally, what bike would be best for hillier terrain than what you find in South florida.

First, you get what you pay for. In general, a $1,200 retail hybrid is likely to have better quality, lighter, and somewhat more durable components than an entry level bicycle. Components include shifters, derailleurs, cranks, brakes, and especially, wheels. In the long run, you may save more money getting a slightly better quality bike up front than buying something entry level than trying to spend a lot of money upgrading components a year or two later, if cycling becomes your thing.

So as far as future proofing, spending more now will probably get you more bike than you need as a newbie, but one that is likely to last you many years as you progress in the sport. As far as I can tell, the Sirrus comp is a performance oriented hybrid. At 23 lbs, give or take, light enough to do club rides, even multi day charity rides, but durable enough to do some light touring or commuting. In other words, it is a versatile bike from a reputable manufacturer. And, of course, more than enough bike for leisure or fitness riding. So, well worth considering, if it fits and if that style bike speaks to you.

So no, $800 is not overkill for a beginner if you plan to ride a lot, or for a long time. I rode my '97 Bianchi hybrid every spring and summer for a decade before switching to another bike. At the time I bought it, it was a step or two above an entry level hybrid (cost maybe $400 in 1997, while an entry level bike back then was about $300) My son started riding the Bianchi last season and so I brought it into the bike shop for an overhaul, expecting to hear bad news about bearings, derailleurs, bottom bracket, wheels, or shifters. It was, after all, a 16 year old bike, was my regular rider for 10 years. Then after it became a spare bike, my wife sometimes used it, as have occasionally out of town guests. I even lent it to my niece for about 6 months a few years back and she used it to commute to work. And except for a few minor repairs, like tires, chain and brake pads, most of the bike was in excellent shape, according to the guys at the bike shop.

As for other brands to consider, other than Giant, Cannondale, and Specialized, there is always Trek. And Raleigh, Kona, Bianchi, Jamis, Surly, Marin, to name just a few. But the brand name isn't as important as feeling comfortable with your purchase, the style of bike (hybrid, commuter, drop bar road, touring, mountain, or some combination of two or more of these), frame material (aluminum, steel, or carbon fiber) and finding a shop that will be there not just up to the sale, but after the sale to make (hopefully) minor adjustments to your new bike, and if the problem is more major, will work to resolve any problems.

Theft is a problem with any new, or newish bike, whether it be a $500 bike, an $800 bike, or a $1,500 bike. Take precautions. Don't leave your bike unattended and unlocked for even a minute or two. I use a cheap cable lock even when just parking my bike to take a bathroom break. I have a U lock for longer periods where my bike is parked somewhere. I keep my bike locked in my garage when not riding it.

Last edited by MRT2; 02-24-14 at 11:16 AM.