sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Q (from the pic): ......
So an episode like this could have been precipitated by mashing harder than normal, but its real cause may have been a poorly fitting rivet.
I'm still going with "E" with Rod rather than an odd rivet.

Winter to Spring sand, slush MetroBoston riding, starting to look ahead to Spring-Summer swooping and flying on tree shaded, warm weather roads does inspire more thoughts of maintenance. Now I slosh a bit of water and drip a few drops of oil.

I had a chain break that was stretched out from wear and it was wearing out chain ring, sprockets and everything but my aversion to preventative maintenance. Ask me next month if I've installed my spring maintenance shifter cables. I did replace my single speed chain before it broke because of "C", listening to my bike. In my case I couldn't move the wheel aft any more without the tire rubbing on the rear fender or keep the brakes pads on the rim. Listening wasn't hard because my bike was screaming. I did contemplate taking a few links out but the wear and tear on ring and sprocket was part of my chitchat with the bike.