View Single Post
Old 02-25-14, 11:30 AM
Pibber

Bikes: cannondales 84 ST500; 87SR500; 95 CAAD 3 Silk Road 500; 99 CAAD 3 Frameset(project)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
You posed a question, got reasonable answers based on both experience and good judgment but apparently refuse to accept them. It's your bike and your body. Do what you want.

as i said, i haven't even laid hands or eyes on the wheels in question. probably won't buy them considering age and reputation, but the fact is that there were far more successful rides on these wheels than not. i can find reports of frame and wheel failure for other bikes and wheels even now, but we still ride them; i.e. Mark Cavendish's wheel failure:

what i find funny is the fearmongering among a bunch of people that routinely ride CF bikes with CF handlebars, seatposts, stems, rims, shift levers, pedals etc that have all failed at one point or another on any number of bikes from any number of manufacturers. i've gotten responses from people that completely ignore what i'm asking to post, mostly, what they've heard, or read, from an out of date website. so far, very few responses from people that have actually ridden them, and then they're still contradictory. one will attest to their weaknesses while another never had a problem.

yes, it's a crap shoot, but it's a crap shoot everyday i get on the road and i figure that wheels that are actually still together years later might be up to the task of the occasional 20 mile ride with friends on a day off. maybe.

and, after a lot more research, when failure specifics are brought up, it's a resonance/vibration problem that disassembles the wheel. at least that's what i get after reading through various old threads getting trolled and finally someone cuts to the chase.