View Single Post
Old 10-05-05, 12:56 PM
Keith99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lws
The motorist was also elderly, and probably should not be driving. He didn't want to admit that his vision is impaired, or he'll lose his license. There is a larger picture issue involved -- when you get old and can't drive any longer, you become a virtual prisoner in your own home. A small proportion of Americans live in communities that are well-served by public transportation, and a 68 year-old man is unlikely to be able to walk or bicycle very far.
Excuse me, 68 is not old feeble and almost dead. I've ridden with guys in their 60s whose rides of chouce were 70 plus hilly miles. One of the guys on my Rugby club played until he reached his early 70s. I'm not talking about playing for an over 40 side or even an over 30 side. I mean the clubs regular second side. My mother is pushing 80 and still has everything needed to drive and drive safely. Yes her reactions have decreased and she prefers not to drive after dark. There are plenty of older drivers out there that are excellent. Then there are older drivers out there that are in denial and dangerous.