Old 02-25-14, 09:57 PM
Shahmatt

Bikes: Cruzbike Flamingo folding conversion, Oyama East Village

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Problem is that the hub is built into a wheel, so a new hub means a new wheel (or rebuilding the wheel onto the hub). This isn't a cheap option, and IMO would be totally unacceptable for 1500km. One other possible option is a transfer of the entire internal assembly from a new hub into your shell. But this is similar labor to opening and checking your hub.

Lastly you might see if you can find someone with the same hub in a trashed wheel. If he also opted to replace rather than rebuild, he can sell you his used hub and you can do an internals swap.

If you're mechanically inclined, consider watching one of Dan B's hub rebuild videos, and seeing if you can open, clean and relube the hub and if that solves the problem.
Thanks for the advice. The reason I am considering replacing the hub is that a different LBS (not a very sophisticated place though) rebuilt a wheel for me very cheaply ($16USD) by using a replacement hub of the same size and no. of holes. The original spokes were used so there was no need to buy new. I felt that the same could possibly be done if I repurchase the same model of this 3 speed hub.

Given the severity of the problem, is it possible that the hub internals are damaged beyond repair, necessitating replacement parts? Are replacement parts easily found?

I'll have a look at some of Dan B's videos. Thanks for the suggestion.