Old 02-26-14, 06:19 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
I scored $10 today on the way home.

...At the top was a van just spinning its wheels and not making any progress. So I set my bike aside and pushed him through the intersection. The light changes. I go back and get my bike. A woman opens her window and thanks me because the van had been blocking traffic...Feel kind of crappy about the other stiffs at the intersection though. Usually somebody will get their butt out of car and help. Yes, it was a bit cold today but still.

Anyway I'm hoping that at least of couple of people will treat us cyclists with a little more courtesy as a result.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...since we [cycle commuters] are so intimately familiar with the Road, compared to motorists, we are more apt to see situations of distress and can more easily stop and help out. Over the years I have found a few wallets and cell phones and returned them to the owners. On one nasty snowy winter day on my cycle commute (with studded tires), I stopped and pushed at least three stranded cars off of slippery surfaces where they could get no traction.
A cycnical aphorism about good deeds though has been enunciated as, "No good deed goes unpunished."

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… So with that delay, and the slow travel I got to work about an hour later than usual [I don't punch a time clock]. What I had hoped would be a triumphal arrival though, was a tongue-lashing because the secretaries thought I was crazy and probably in an accident.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-26-14 at 06:25 AM.