View Single Post
Old 10-05-05, 02:41 PM
biker7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclintom
Well, lets get it straight - the Ventos that are presently being made are substantially different than the ones I have. In fact, the rims on the present Ventos do not look nearly as strong and rigid as mine and hence I wouldn't ride them on the street with low spoke count. As I stated, my Ventos break spokes about every 500 miles. Of course I'm 200 lbs.

Secondly, I'd forgotten that these wheels had the latest Campy spoke pattern which I would consider to be unacceptable since a broken 'odd' side spoke will really pull the (less rigid) rim out of alignment.

Thirdly, Campy's catalog states that the Ventos are 3.8 lbs per set and that is only .8 lbs heavier than the Eurus. That's what, 13 ounces PER SET? Your tires will vary more than that between manufacturers.

I will reiterate - these are racing wheels regardless of some marketing hype about them being "training" wheels.

If you prefer to put them on your bike that's up to you but I'd stick with Mavic Ksysrium Equipe or Elite for road.
Well...with respect....yeah, lets get it straight. I know a lot of riders of Ventos that weigh 200 lbs and ride their Vento's everywhere like I do, including hitting a lot of pot holes. The latter Vento's with G3 spoke pattern literally never go out of true...they are bombproof. I could care less whether you want to ride a Vento on potholed streets...everybody else does. Serious racers race on wheels 3/4's of the weight of Ventos because weight matters to racers...more so than whether they can take a big pothole hit or not which the Vento time after time demonstrates the abillity to do. The Vento is a training wheel and not a racing wheel. You can race on them if you wish but will give up acceleration in particular and speed in climbing. Vento's are not embraced in racing circles and club riders love them including me.
George