View Single Post
Old 02-27-14, 12:54 PM
Sharpshin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
See my current 700c wheel for touring thread for info and links.

I've been riding an '89 Voyageur, prepping it for touring....

Wheels

Came with single walled 27" rims, 36h front, 40h rear. No problem with the rims or spokes but the hubs were just average 80's quality and the rear especially won't hold a bearing adjustment over long miles.

Decided to go with 700c wheels after first verifying the brakes would accomodate that small shift. Sheldon Brown has several relatively inexpensive wheelsets that would work (including 27"), but I figure on tour 27" parts might prove hard to find if needed.

Based upon their great reviews I had a set of 36h 700c wheels built at A&E.

Tires

Even riding everywhere (almost all pavement) with 50 - 60 lbs of training weight loaded in the bags (mostly water) I have found 32mm tires to be sufficient. The mild steel frame of the Voyageur is great at soaking up road noise.

Also, while almost everywhere (including Wal-Mart) carries 700 x 28-32 tubes, IME wider 700 tubes are far less common, even at dedicated bike shops.

I have brought two bikes, an old rigid mountain bike and the voyageur, back to life since August, and used both for commuting, which around here in the city is very hard on tires. Between the two I have actually bought eight new tires in the past few months looking for something that didn't flat:........ Continental Gatorskin Hardshells, end of story, expensive but buy 'em.

Mike

Last edited by Sharpshin; 02-27-14 at 12:57 PM.