View Single Post
Old 02-28-14, 03:16 PM
jodphoto

Bikes: 74 Raleigh Grand Prix fixie,85 League Fuji w/ flat bars, 87 Cannondale ST400, League Fuji Fixie, Raleigh Pursuit Fixie, 93 Cannondale M500, Kabuki Submariner 12, 90 Fuji Suncrest, Peugeot Mixte project

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BB hub theory and practice question

I have 2 League Fuji bikes with the same issue in the hubs, They are going on 30 years old, and have the Suntour LePree hubs.

The cones are sort of chewed up where the ball bearings run. I have tried to find replacement cones from Wheels Mfg. and a couple of LBS parts bins I was allowed to rummage. Nothing I found would fit. I don't care much about OLD spacing or grease seals. These can be adapted. The main issue is that LePree cones come to a very small diameter near the interior end (pointy end) of the cone and the balls run very near the tip of the cone.

I have asked about this on the forum previously and was advised to try Wheels Mfg. They had cones which I bought and found the tip ends too big in diameter. The tip diameter is not a specification given for the cones they offer so I am here again seeking wisdom. BTW, the front axle is 9mm x 1mm, the rear axle is 10mm x 1mm. The balls are 1/4" rear, 3/32" front

Each replacement cone I have tried has more meat near the tip than the LePree and the balls don't run far enough back on the cone to seem secure. I have opted to use heavy grease with new balls on the old cones and repeat often. I have an Ebay search for these hubs but fear they all suffer from the same issue more or less.

Is it OK to reduce the diameter of the small end of the replacement cones on a lathe with emery cloth? Will that remove important case hardening and leave a too soft bearing surface?

Same question; Is it viable to redress the old cones, moving the bearing surface farther outboard?

OR: Is it ok to run smaller or fewer balls, thereby moving the ball position further outboard and away from the damaged area?

If I had a few more bucks, I'd get some used Campy hubs and re-lace the wheel. So, if that's your advice, duly noted.

Best option? Any other ideas?