Old 02-28-14, 09:03 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brennan
I'm running a set of Shimano DuraAce 9-speed bar end shifters on my Cross Check. They are mounted on Paul Thumbies. The right shifter is mated with a Shimano LX 9-speed rear derailleur. On certain shifts, the chain rattles just a bit against the next cog. A micro adjustment of the lever within that index position corrects it. This happens with every shift on two cogs: the second smallest and the second largest. I've tried adjusting the rear derailleur several times, but cannot eliminate these rattles, so I think it's an issue with the shifter itself. My questions are:

1. Is there normally a tiny bit of "play" within index positions, or should the shifts be solid every time?
2. If the the shifts should be more accurate, is this a sign of the shift lever beginning to wear?
3. Could the thumbie mounts be responsible? Are shifts less accurate with them than with standard bar end plugs?
It's much more likely that your RD and cable tension need adjusting. Also, have you checked your derailleur hanger?