Old 02-28-14, 10:14 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
If you want to lose weight, you should be going as hard as you can, for as long as you can, as often as you can. If you don't feel like you're working hard, you're probably wasting your time on the bike.

I lost 50lbs back in 2007 or 2008. My workout strategy was basically: a 15-mile lunch ride 3-4 times a week going as fast as I could, combined with 1-2 longer (2+-hour) rides on the weekend. The weekend rides were still at a brisk pace, but I was usually trying to extend my distance, ride time, or elevation gain so I had to reduce my pace somewhat in order to be able to complete the ride. Still, whenever I did a route more than once I was always trying to beat my previous ride time.
I think my strategy will be similar. For my weekday exercise rides my "go as hard as I can" will probably "how many all-out intervals can I do in the time I have to do them". I know if I just warmup and go as hard as I can the ride will be short (by comparison) but if I do bursts of "all out" followed by a recovery and then more "all out" I may be able to do more.

And like you I am basically wanting to extend my distance on my weekend rides but again again like you I will always try to beat my previous time on the same route.