View Single Post
Old 03-01-14, 11:14 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Those bikes were and are extremely underrated bikes, they, along with the Trek 720, were the most capable touring bikes made in America, and some would argue made anywhere for the time period! You have a beautiful bike, I hope you kept the original equipment you took off, and the tires, because if you ever decide to sell it it would be worth more with that factory correct stuff on the bike.

I have a lower level version of your bike, a 85 Le Tour Luxe, if you get the chance go to the Schwinn catalogue site and compare the 85 Luxe to the 85 Voyagers, it's quite weird. They used the same frame on my bike as they did with the Voyager but put a hi tensile steel fork on instead, then they used the same drivetrain as the Voyager sp on my bike, but on mine the factory, probably due to no stock on the wheels that were spec'd in the catalogue at the time of manufacturing, so I got 40 hole rims with double butted spokes, those wheels are bomb proof! I left mine 100 percent original except the tires and saddle of course and I do weekend tours with it. Schwinn in 85 for some reason upgraded a couple of mid level bikes to come close to the higher end bikes which is apparent if you compare the 85 luxe to the 84 which had a lower end frame and components then the 85, and they did this with Super Sport as well in 85.