Old 03-02-14, 10:09 AM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not to try to sound harsh but every shop I have worked in we have struggled with people that have gone to bicycle repair schools (mostly Barnets because it is local). Mechanics from those schools had the confidence of a mechanic with 10 years experience but struggled to make it through a tune up in a timely fashion and still get all adjustments correct. They all had a bit of an ego and it got to the point we almost refused to hire anyone fresh out of a school if they showed any hint of an ego.

Drop off a resume at every shop in town, check back a few days to a week later. Go in very humble and tell them exactly where you are, you went to school but have no real experience but are excited to learn more. Chances are they will have you build a bike as a hands on interview or as you to do some repair task (each manager has there preferred task to test potential new guys). If you do not know how to do something PLEASE do not hesitate to ask. Asking how to do something would rarely disqualify a candidate but faking their way through a step would be an instant no go.

Expect to start by spending all day building bikes or cleaning bikes and it may be a while before you get into more in depth repairs or even a basic tune up, don't take that personal, if it is a shop that prides itself on its work they will want to make sure you have your skills dialed and have a good feel for the work you do before letting you loose on a customers bike.

On a more positive note, welcome to the industry, I have tried to leave a few times chasing better money and always come back despite the (relative) low pay and long hours. No other career path has made me as happy as the bike industry.

Last edited by chriskmurray; 03-02-14 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Typo