Old 03-02-14, 03:11 PM
unaleona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Oh, and as for stem, I used an adjustable stem once, and was very disconcerted at how wobbly it was. Maybe they're not all like that. I hope not. I've done all my experiments by buying new stems until I have one that fits. It's slow and expensive, and now I have an oversized collection. Maybe you should try the adjustable stem first. It may work. If it leads you to buy one last stem afterwards, it wouldn't be such a bad thing.

i wish there were such a thing as a rigid, lightweight, inexpensive, adjustable stem. But there isn't.
I don't love the idea of the slow and expensive process at the moment, so sounds like the way to go is with the adjustable stem for now and then once I've fiddled with absolutely everything, buy another one later. Anyone have recommendations for which one?

And yes, I'm thinking of getting a Brooks, though probably won't commit to it until I am totally sorted out in terms of height and reach. The saddle I have now doesn't seem to have a brand name on it anywhere, it is leather-esque vinyl. It has a small amount of padding, but not much. It's not particularly uncomfortable, but I've definitely felt that it could be better at times. I thought the idea with the Brooks was that it would soften up over time! At this point based on reading and seeing the saddles in person, I'm leaning towards the B17 in the S women's model. I thought initially that I'd want the Flyer, but I've been riding around with this saddle without springs and haven't felt the bumps from the huge potholes in my seat particularly.