View Single Post
Old 03-03-14, 11:02 AM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Some hallmarks of falling into starvation mode metabolism are mood related.
Crankiness, motivation flagging, and less sunny out look all the way to full blown depression.
Sleep problems are also noted.

In body building, some people swear by "cheat days" where they relax the calorie restriction (or food category restriction) for a day (some do weekly)... Others will increase their overall calorie target.
You can "test" this by loosening up your calories up to equal burned for a day and see if you mood, energy and sleep improve.

At a deficit of 1000 calories a day (that's 7k calories /week) or 2 lbs... You've been at this for 8 weeks (or ~16-ish lbs)..

You could have (and should have) easily made up the 12lbs of weight loss just in improving your hydration (as you report). 40% of general population is persistently dehydrated this is defined of at least 10% body weight... People who were overweight were far more likely to be dehyrated and were observed to be more dehydrated then population overall.
SO for me, I would have 26.5 lbs that I would gain just in improving hydration if I were dehydrated.

Muscle goes on slowly, very slowly even if the intent is to gain muscle AND your on a calorie surplus. Trading fat for muscle is a comforting myth but doesn't hold up.

Your health has improved immensely (reduction in risk).
Your ability to do work this has improved immensely.
You have properly laid the ground work in a healthy, sustainable manner.

Personally, I would be massively proud if I made a 1/2 the improvement you've shown in such a short time! Heck 1/4!

What are your goals?
Are they weight?
Riding capabilities or achievements?