Old 03-03-14, 11:40 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
What kind of touring do you plan to do? Loaded with camping gear, lightweight credit card touring (staying in motels, B&Bs and hostels) or are you not touring on it? You are a heavy rider, the touring gear weight therefore is an important issue, that is why I think it important that you tell us your plans for the bike.

Also, you did not say if you are looking at a big or small frame size. If toe overlap is a big issue to you, the 26 inch wheels would be a benefit but toe overlap usually not a big concern to most riders.
My plans are to do some inn to inn riding and then some weekend to week long self-sufficient touring. My road bikes are 56's so I'd likely be in that range for the touring bike. I will most certainly test ride everything and right now the Surly LHT, Trek 520, Novara Randonee and Raleigh Sojourn are available locally to test (if it ever stops snowing). Not too crazy about the Raleigh because of the gearing and spoke count, but I'll test it anyway. I trust the shops I deal with and know that fit and comfort are paramount. As usual, I'm probably doing too much research.