Old 03-03-14, 03:26 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Weatherby
I would like to understand why a bike without a Dynohub is less than fully equipped. Equipped for what?

Advantages over battery systems

1. Power available when rolling for as long as you can pedal or coast
2. You can charge other devices while riding

Disadvantages compared to battery systems

1. Power/lights ONLY available when riding and above a threshold speed that varies unlike battery powered lights that are there with the flip of switch
2. Drag (6 to 12W loss at modest speeds)
3. Lack of ease transferring from one bike to the next
4. Lower output (light)
5. Weight
6. Weak aesthetics
7. More complex and ill-defined maintenance requirements of dyno hubs and are they servicable in the field?

RTW loaded touring? No doubt I'd have one.

I wouldn't put a Dynohub on a rando bike or a timed event but that is just me.
No need to carry batteries, worry about charging / chargers / etc.
Generate your own light, all day / all night. No charging, no throwing away chemicals into the landfill.

Aesthetics? The new hubs and lights are quite sharp, vs. flashlights or bits of plastic stuck on your bars / bike.
But thats subjective, I realize.

The threshold speed is like 2-3mph, my old SON and eDeluxe come on at walk pace. And once up and running there is a stand light.
I wear a small light on the helmet - so if I'm walking, that goes on (MTB / bikepacking). If I need to fix something - I have a light to use.

Lower output, sure, well, maybe, for technical trail riding. The new LED lights are impressive. And even the newest are being used for MTB events.
Look at some of the beams here: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.asp

Weight? Sure, maybe, in the hub. But carrying batteries also adds weight. Maybe not for a 300k or 400k, but certainly when one gets into multi day events...
And you can keep your GPS and phone tapped off with a dyno system.
I ran a GoPro off a Shimno dyno and the ewerk USB plug continuous during testing - never dented the batteries except when I stopped and left the camera running - and topped them off while riding during the day.

Maintenance? Complexity? What?
You don't do anything to them. Just plug them in.

I've had far more trouble with various battery lights and systems than I ever had with my SON and dual halogens. Once I moved to an LED I never had to worry about bulbs again... and I run a small light on the fork or rack. If you use a skewer option the light goes with the wheel - so moving from bike to bike is easy, assuming same wheel size, etc.

Here's someone who is using them for timed events (tour divide, round the world record holder (think he carried batteries on that one) etc, etc.):
http://normallyaspiratedhuman.com/?p=1337

But yes, YMMMV. I really want another setup for my Fargo. Hate worrying about power on bikepacking / adventure trips. Want light whenever I need it, and want to be able to keep the GPS running.