View Single Post
Old 03-04-14, 06:23 AM
Velosexual

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very rare... 1983 Ochsner Columbus Sl frame... reports vary about who built these frames... they were commissioned by Ochsner (the American importer of Campagnolo, and Assos brands among others) for retail sale. This one was purchased new in 1984, built up in 1996 and ridden for a couple of years and put into storage. I bought the frame for 80 GBP off eBay when everyone else was dumping classic steel frames for nothing in favor of buying new fiber bikes. Built it up with handmade 32H Dura Ace 7700s, on Velocity Deep V rims with DT spokes. Full Ultegra 6603 groupset, Thomson post, Selle SMP saddle, Dura Ace threaded HS, TTT Mutant quill stem, a pair of Orign8 shallow drop bars in 26.0, with Fizik gelpads, and Cinelli Gel tape, Dura Ace cables, and Vittoria tires. Bike was built for American style criterium racing so it is very fast handling, but not twitchy... let's just say it keeps me on my toes... of course there is the butt cradling feel of SL... but it is adequately stiff (even out of saddle) and gives that connected and, confident feel you only get from steel. The blue models were made of SP by a Swiss maker named Royal (any idea if they made other brands?)... the red is made from SL but some say the Billati Bros. made them, others say some models on the East Coast were farmed out to Serrotta, and yet other's have insisted it was the same Royal brand... doesn't matter to me. Bike is awesome... best of all worlds. Total cost... 1000GBP and over a decade to piece together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5683.jpg (100.9 KB, 245 views)
IMG_5686.jpg (100.0 KB, 168 views)
DSC00149.jpg (47.5 KB, 152 views)